Sunday, August 30, 2009

How It Sucks Having to Take Your Own Advice


So for over two years now I've been struggling with a not-officially-diagnosed variant of something like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I think. Whatever it is, it has sucked fairly extensively and precipitated my decline from a not-terribly-slow, somewhat fat triathlete to an extremely slow, extremely fat, usually tired non-triathlete. I wrote about this on my website (www.slowfattriathlete.com) as Boo-Boo Kitty Syndrome, but I didn't really get to write about it in my latest book, Shape Up with the Slow Fat Triathlete, for a variety of reasons, primarily because the book wasn't about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and my troubles. It was a set of 50 essays on how to enjoy your body and its strengths and talents; how to have fun moving around; how to take care of yourself; and how to get your mind inspired in the face of the everyday grind. Kitty litter, commuting, work, kids, groceries and the ever-present lure of the Big Poofy Chair.

So now, somewhat in the spirit of the recently-famous Julie and Julia project, I plan to do a Jayne and Jayne project - use the advice in Shape Up with the SFT to get myself back on the road to more exercise, more being outdoors, more fun, more energy. I may check in with some other writers, coaches, experts, etc., but I'm going to built this blog on my own framework, starting with Chapter 1: Abandon Self-Consciousness. How did I do that today? I screwed up my courage and ordered two swimsuits from Junonia. I looked up the nearest lap swim location (McKinley Park) and made a vow to get back in the pool, then realized that I had no swimming raiment that would actually cover my newly expanded personage. So I gritted my teeth and spent $140 on the suits. I hope they fit. I'll let you know. If I really take the advice of Chapter 1, I'll post a picture.

I'm not sure how this will work, or if it will work, but it's time to try. I want to feel more like the person who bounded onto the cover of Slow Fat Triathlete, and I want to live some athletic dreams again.

4 comments:

  1. I'm beyond frustrated at my lack of progress in 6 years, so I bagged my season and am focusing on nutrition. 7 weeks of Weight Watchers = 7 lbs lost so far. Not worrying abt cycling on swimming, but really working on running. Let's get through this together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Jayne!! Saw your fb post just as I was getting ready to go on a walk/run after a long, exhausting day at work. I am feeling totally uninspired but I'm trying to exercise 30 minutes a day, 6 days a week (or whatever combination averages out to that). I hate to exercise, so it's a huge challenge for me. We can do it!

    --Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm glad to read your words. I have hit a serious plateau and am not sure what to do right now. I feel pretty good but I would sure like to achieve my goals. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this on the back of a postcard of all things & have remembered it over 10 years later. Just goes to show that the hardest part is just getting started.

    "You never work out and regret it. You never go for a run and when you are done say, 'I wish I would have just stayed home.' You never climb a mountain, get to the top, and say 'I should have just been content to stay where I was.'" - Nike

    ReplyDelete